Tuesday, August 9, 2016

My New Classroom 2016-2017


So in January this year the school I have been at for the last 7 years closed for good. We had some water damage that was too expensive to repair and get the almost 100 year old building up to code and because of the water there was mold found in the building. This means that the majority of our things were not able to come out. No books or paper items left the building. Only furniture or hard surfaced items that could be cleaned.  So my school and another school building in the same district are merging this year. I am super excited! My team will now consist of a 6 first grade teacher team instead of just 2 of us. We all get along and are excited about all the possibilities for us as a team this year!

The fun thing about my new room for this year is that this is actually the room that I did my student teaching in back in 2005! So it is like coming home for me. :)  Take a look around my new room and let me know what you think...


This is the entrance to my room...come on in!


When you first walk in the door you see my computer station. I have a clip chart but really only use it when a sub is there. I use Class Dojo and students and parents love it!

This is my ENO board. I hate that it is placed right by the entrance. I would normally have my large carpet area here, but since it is right by the door that just isn't going to work. I will let kids choose to work or read on this small carpet if they want to during the day.


This is my table for my laptop and document camera. 

Another computer station. We have to do progress monitoring with AimsWeb so I will use the file folders in the pocket chart to keep the materials we will use for that. My Light Box is sitting on top of a little cart where I will keep student scissors, glue sticks, and bottles of glue that we only use when we need them.


Love these daily objective headers from Learning in Wonderland! I will write our "I Can" statements under each section for the week.

Here is a view of that entire wall.


As we move to the next wall, this is our little library area. It will eventually grow, but since all of my books were lost in my old school it is going to take some time for me to build it back up.

These are hanging over my library area. My friend and I made these this summer. They turned out super cute but what a mess! 


Another view of the library and one of the crate seats I made this summer. :) We have some little reading buddies in the blue basket on top of the book case.


My little crate bench I also made this summer. :) 


The blue mailboxes are from Walmart. My Really Good Stuff ones couldn't make it out of the old school because they are cardboard. They are sitting on top of my Trofast shelf from Ikea. These bins hold our math stations. 


The black cart holds 10 laptops that I share with the other 1st grade teachers. This is another little small work or reading area to use during the day.


Here is a close up of my word wall. Loving the blacks and brights this year! I found these lovelies on Pinterest...here is the link if you want to make them....Word Wall.

I'm not crazy about the color of this cabinet but it is holding all of my extra math manipulatives and reading materials. The posters are the 8 mathematical practices from Third Grade Doodles.

LOVE. LOVE. LOVE. These new book boxes from Oriental Trading. The green pocket chart will hold our hunk and chunk cards from The Phonics Dance.

Right past the orange cabinet and the book bins is my large carpet meeting area. I adore this new rug that I got from RTRkidsrugs.com Luckily my Royal Reading easel made it out of my old school. Can't imagine not having it! I also really like my little ribbon valances I made from a Pinterest find.


The back of the book bin shelf has a tension rod hanging on it so I can post anchor charts there. The black pocket chart is from a teacher store in Florida that I visited on vacation this summer. In the neon folders I am going to place some fast finishers for students to use when they get done with their work.


Turn to the other wall. Here is my Guided Math rotation board from Teaching Sweet Shoppe.
The blue work station pocket chart will be our rotations for Daily 5. 

My calendar area, with place value pocket chart to count the days we are in school, and the monthly circles will have clothespins hanging on them for birthdays. That is August - November for now and then I will switch to the next 4 months and so on.

The alphabet cards are from The Phonics Dance.  And the neon posters on the white board are voice levels from Reagan Tunstall. The table will be for my mom who volunteers in my room everyday (Yes I'm spoiled lucky!) and her group of students she will work with. 


Close up of her little area. :)

This is our little "kitchen area". A retired teacher friend of mine found this little desk station at a rummage sale for me. Our little fridge is underneath, then we have our microwave and keurig for our morning coffee. There is a shelf also under that fabric that can store our mugs and such. 

These are 2 shelves behind my area. This has my math binders and materials from Reagan Tunstall, work on writing materials from Cara Carroll, and other materials I will need for small groups.
I also have some built in shelves on the wall behind my area too. The blue and green baskets have  DRA leveled readers for small groups. Also you see my daily drawers from Learning in Wonderland. The top shelf has my entire set of Gumball Math that I created that includes addition and subtraction for numbers within 10 and within 20. All other drawers contain extra supplies and materials. 

Here is a view of my table with my new crate seats I made this summer. :)

This is our work on writing center. It will have the task cards and vocabulary words from the work on writing bundle from Cara Carroll. The 6 trait writing posters are from Smekens writing.

These baskets are from Dollar Tree. I hate that I had to get one random blue one.  These will hold the students supply boxes. The white tub holds are dry erase boards and markers. And the green crate will hold student headphones. The green drawers next to the shelf will hold our word work materials.


The pocket chart is for our table captains. I choose one student at each table each week to be in charge of getting the table basket of supply boxes. This way I don't have a bunch of students getting their boxes at once.

This little shelf will hold community supplies that students can use including crayons, markers, colored pencils, and also sight word cards for word work time. The basket on top will be where they will get their morning work page after they hang up their book bags in the morning.

So there is a close up view of all the areas in my classroom. I forgot to get some pics of the views of the entire room so I will post those next time. I am really excited to see what this year will bring in my new school and new classroom!  Let me know what you think! :)

Photobucket

2 comments: